This is a work in progress.
I am working on this lesson plan for a 4 hour class for Girl Scouts I am teaching in a few weeks. As I was never a scout, this has been a learning experience.
Anyhoo, here is my lesson plan.
I want to structure the program around the vivid stories musicians imagine while they play. To do this I will use Alice to animate songs my Scouts would like to perform.
10-12:30pm Session I
(Instead of a time-line, I have written interchangeable segments. I have written these in the order I intend to do them, but I may switch the order—ie, if the girls are bored during the session I will get into the breathing warm-ups, the singing earlier. I may include more singing if the girls have experience with that. I don’t want to force shy girls into performing if they aren’t comfortable; however if I get a bunch of extroverts or experienced performers I want to be able to support them.)
Login to the cluster computers, do a session introduction, etc, ask for questions
- What’s the last song you had stuck in your head?
- What’s your musical experience?
- What do you want to know?
- Show what Alice does, explain why Alice is cool
- Open a grassy plan, Draw a three step storyboard.
- Create a scene with with Bird 1, Fairy, Mrs Mitchel, and Fish
- Show how methods work with Fairy, how to create methods with Fish, an how to move parts of objects with Bird1
- Show 3 Alice movies I have created
- 1 with dancing,
- 1 with scenery talking/moving (1. Chicken walks ¼ way across screen, cat following, sing ½ first verse 2. Chicken walks to center, cat follows, sing rest of ast verse, end together facing camera. 3) cat pounces )
- 1 with narration
- (recommended characters for dancing include Adults, Fairies, Fish)
Roles of Music in Other Cultures
- Sister Act/Philippine Prison Dance
- Get cool Bollywood/Egyptian Music Video
- Vitamin C Graduation with Muslim girls
- Yes We Can from wil.i.am
- Show Papageno/Papagena dance (German)
- (Show when I am laid in earth, jazz and traditional version)
- Song to the Moon, Rusalka (Russian)
- Brainstorm ideas out-load as a group (Use board, see if they want to form groups)
- Research what songs you want to work with on YouTube
- Talk about good movie-making ideas
½ an hour
- Warm up with breathing
- Do simple scales
- 2 choices—sing song with Karaoke, or we can play a recorded version
- ½ an hour
- Storyboard some ideas for music videos
- Do Alice tutorials
- Revise Storyboards
Prepare and Give Presentations
Presentations will include:
- 2 Sentences about the culture and history of the song (explain some references that don’t make sense). Do research on YouTube, on the internet.
- What are the rhythm instruments? How would it be different if they had used bongoes? How did you use them as markers for your video?
- Find a version of your chosen song with a movie from another culture
I will be walking around the cluster, helping the women with programming and editorial issues
- Wrap up, questions, issues, explain about the careers which being an extrovert and a logical thinker can push you towards, lay out several support societies and groups if they want to join a performance and/or programming community.
Milton Berle – “If opportunity doesn’t knock, build a door.”