So, I hope you’ve seen this video. It is hilarious and well known in a lot of music circles.
And I got curious. Because I wanted to know: 1) what are all of these songs? 2) do they all really follow the chord progression DABF#GDGA?
Most of them do.
But I found some songs whose lyrics are so fabulous, I won’t worry that their chord progression is baroque. So here are the 16 songs (and corresponding YouTube videos) for each of the songs mentioned in Pachebel’s Rant (there are only two snippets I could not identify).
- “Canon in D Major” by Pachelbel
- “Graduation” by Vitamin C
- “Crying” by Aerosmith.
- “One Tin Soldier” by Coven.
- “Hook” by Blues Travelers
- “Basket Case” by Green Day
- “Push” by Matchbox 20
- Now Identified! “it’s been good living with you” is what I think I heard. “Good” by Better than Ezra
- Now Identified!: “my machine head” “been in the rest” is what I think I heard. “Bush” by Machine Head
- “With or Without You” by U2
- “Torn” by Natalie Imbruglia
- “Sk8er Boy” by Avril Lavigne.
- “We’re not gonna take it” by Twisted Sister
- “Laverne and Shirley Theme”
- “No Woman, No Cry” by Bob Marley
- “Let it be” by The Beatles
For a full transcript go to this website.
My favorite new song: “Hook” by Blues Travelers (5)
My favorite video(s): “Graduation” by Vitamin C (2) and “Sk8er Boy” by Avril Lavigne (12)
Three songs that show the chord progression best (other than the original): “With or Without You” by U2 (10) and “Let it be” by The Beatles (16).
This was fun researching!
“If everything seems under control, you’re not going fast enough” – Mario Andretti